Information about the memorial rooms of E. Orzeszkowa
Dear citizens of Grodno and guests of the city!
We invite you to visit the memorial room dedicated to the life and work of the world-famous writer Eliza Orzeszkowa and also offer a virtual tour of the “House of Eliza Orzeszkowa.”
Eliza Orzeszkowa is a kind of symbol of Grodno. The whole life of the “queen of Polish prose and painful truth” (F. Boguszewicz) was connected with this ancient city, its near and far surroundings.
- Orzeszkowa’s creative heritage includes more than 150 works of art, literature, journalism and more than 10 volumes of letters. The writer’s works have been translated into 20 languages, including Chinese and Japanese. Eliza Orzeszkowa has been twice nominated for the Nobel Prize.
In addition, E. Orzeszkowa was engaged in cultural, educational and charitable activities. She gave literary lectures, organized mass readings, and organized Christmas parties for orphans every year.
From 1894 to 1910 E. Orzeszkowa lived in a building on the street Sadovaya (popularly known as “Eliza Orzeszkowa’s gray house”). In this modest house, one could often meet famous scientists and public figures, among whom were F. Bogushevich, V. Reiman, J. Karlovich and others.
By the decision of the Grodno Regional Executive Committee, on June 18, 2001, a memorial room dedicated to the life and work of the writer was opened in the “House of Eliza Ozheshkowa” (where the information and educational center of the Grodno Regional Scientific Library named after Karsky is now located). A marble fireplace, a wooden vestibule decorated with carvings, and a balcony fence have survived to this day. Of particular value are E. Ozheshkowa’s lifetime works, translated into 10 languages, as well as correspondence with the Ukrainian writer I. Franko, a collection of ancient fiction and historical literature of the 19th-20th centuries, which includes publications by B. Prus, G. Senkevich, J. Slovatsky, K. Dickens, A. Dumas, J. Eliot.
Tours around the memorial room are conducted in Belarusian, Russian, Polish, English and German.
Since the opening, the museum has been visited by residents of Poland, Russia, Ukraine, Lithuania, Germany, England, France, Czech Republic and other countries